Recipes

Saturday, July 6, 2024

It's Hot

 I know it's July and I know it's summer but this heat is killing! In the past week, 8 people have died from heat-related illnesses and over 2000 have been admitted to hospital.  Some places hit 39C!  It's not livable. Where we are the highs are about 33C and that is too much for me.  The big problem for me is that the temperature doesn't drop, even at night!  Last night the lowest was 28C, far too hot.  I have an air conditioner and fan in my room, which helps, but I don't want to see the electric bill. 

I'm drinking loads of water and sports drinks, I don't go out at all.  Even getting to the car makes me sweat!  Most shops are nice and cool.  I spend a lot of time looking at the frozen food, which helps to cool down. Christopher said that he was having a hard time yesterday because he was working in the freezer, sorting goods to be put out.  When he went to help on the registrar he had a hard time feeling warm!  He doesn't mind working in the freezer, he says it's one way of keeping cool.

I worry about Hannah, she has to walk a lot in the heat.  She wears cool clothes, has a hat, and drinks a lot. I told her to break up her walks by stopping into stores. Just to have a few minutes to cool down and feel a bit refreshed might help.  

But this is just the beginning of the summer.  We have at least 3 more months of this intense heat. I think you know what I'll be writing about (moaning about) for the next few posts!  

How to keep cool?  I'm trying to get household chores done early, before 8am if possible.  That does help. This morning I cleaned the kitchen and washed some dishes, even though it was only 7am I was drenched in sweat by the time I had finished.  I planned on doing the floors but they will have to wait until tomorrow.  

I use a fan until the temperature gets to 30C, then the air conditioning goes on. No choice. I keep the curtains closed, no sun on the room helps a lot.

I keep a wet towel around my neck.  That feels nice, especially if I'm cooking.  I haven't cooked much this week.  I'm still recovering from Covid, I'm exhausted, and getting overheated cooking isn't going to help.  

And I drink a lot of water and sports drinks.  I make iced tea sometimes, just to have a different taste but water is the best.  Not sure how much I drink but must be over 3 litres a day, maybe more. I sweat a lot so I always feel I need to drink. 

The cats are hanging out in the corridor, they can come into the living room where the air conditioner is on but somehow they like the corridor.  I make sure there is plenty of water for them.  I think they have the best schedule, they are playing and moving during the cooler times of the day. When it's hot they stretch out and sleep!

Fluffy stretched out across the fan




No comments:

Post a Comment