Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

AGE

 I keep seeing on videos, and posts that age is just a number.

I believe that until I go to the other house, spend a day working, and end up feeling like death warmed over the next day.  Then the number of years my body has been on this earth really shows!  One meme going around says "My brain thinks I'm in my 30s, my sense of humor is like a 12-year-old and my body died in the Civil War"  That about sums me up nicely!

The reason I'm writing about age is a documentary I watched the other day about women having babies later in life.  These were ladies in their 40s, 50s and one lady at 60 who had babies.

My question is how do they have the energy to do it?  I won't teach preschool kids because I know that I don't have the energy to engage with them, even for 30 minutes, once a week.  How does a woman having a baby at 60 cope when her baby gets to be 2 years old?  It really made me think.  I know that everybody is different, maybe they don't have health issues, maybe they feel more secure in their relationships and are financially secure so having a baby isn't that daunting?   

The documentary also made me sad.  They interviewed one girl who was just 10 years old, her parents were in their late 50s.  This girl said that she had to be independent because her parents were older and they might die while she was still young.  That's so sad, a ten-year-old shouldn't be thinking like that.  I know Hannah was only 10 when Hisao passed away but that was sudden, she never thought he would die so young!

So how to face aging?  I want to be here for a while longer.  I have a lot of things that I want to do, places to see, experiences to be had.  One thing I've realized is that health, physical and mental health, play an important part in growing old.  

Since I've started to exercise more I do feel a lot better.  I have less pain in my knee.  This time last year I thought I would lose my mobility now I'm moving more.  The other day I went upstairs to get something, I realized that a couple of months ago I would have asked one of the kids to get it for me! Even though my exercises are very gentle it's enough at this time to help me along.  I hope to do more as I feel better.

Mental health is another factor in growing old.  I will admit that the idea of having to start over at 62 is not appealing.  I was hoping to be settled and to focus on other aspects of my life.  Instead, I have to uproot and move to an area and house that does not inspire me.  If you have read any of my posts about the other house you will know that it is driving me crazy.  It's going to be hard, physically and mentally but I've been through worse and survived.  

I am trying to find things to be happy about. I am trying to be positive and find something good in the other house.  It's hard but I have no choice.  One of my friends told me that I shouldn't spend time just moaning, which is very true.  I need to spend time to be productive, to get things done then have time to do things that I enjoy.

In Japan, April is the start of the school year.  Spring is a time of renewal in nature so I am going to try and renew myself.  Be more positive and find good things!

And I know that saying this I'll be challenged when I go to the other house on Friday!



More cherry blossoms

These are from Hannah.  This is a little park near her university!


No comments:

Post a Comment