Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2023

Obon Holiday

 Next week is Obon Holiday.  It's the time of year for our ancestors to return home.  It's a Japanese Buddhist custom where the ancestors are honored.  It has become a time when people return to their hometowns.  It's not a national holiday but most places close for the 3 days, the exception is the retail and entertainment industries, it's a good time to make money.  Most trains, shinkansen, (bullet trains) and planes are packed.  Even though most people return home some take the chance to travel, Hawai and Guam are popular destinations.  

When the kids were young we would have lunch at my mother-in-law's.  I never really enjoyed it.  Sitting there for two or three hours, sometimes with no air conditioning, kids getting bored after eating and the constant expectations to help out made it an ordeal to be endured.  The first few years I offered to bring something from home to help out but that wasn't done!  Then I had to deal with Hisao's uncle, who I really liked, trying to get us to drink alcohol.  I don't like most alcohol, and Hisao was driving we would refuse but he would keep on and on.  Of course, the more he consumed the more he pushed!!

Now Obon is a nice holiday for me.  We close the school for about a week, most students go to visit their parents or grandparents, so there is no point in opening.  It gives me a break, time to gather steam for the next few months!

Hannah was playing with her phone the other day.  She has a filter app that she likes to use, here are some of her pictures.

No filter on this one

very different with a filter

Not sure what animal I am

Cute!!


No comments:

Post a Comment