Recipes

Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Missing The Local Supermarket

 A song came up in my YouTube feed, Big Yellow Taxi.

The chorus goes:

"Don't it always seem to go

That you don't what you've got 'til it's gone

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

That's how I feel about the local supermarket closing down.  I never realized just how much I relied on that store.

Most mornings David would stop by, as it was on his way back from work. If I needed anything I would send him a message or if I start cooking and find I'm low on something it was easy to send somebody to get it.

There is a drug store nearby, not a pharmacy, just over-the-counter medicines, supplements, beauty goods, etc. They have a lot of groceries, bread and milk are always cheaper there.  A lot of instant foods, condiments, snacks, drinks, etc but very little in the way of fresh food.  I use that place a lot but it doesn't replace the supermarket.

There are other supermarkets but you need a car to get to them, which is hard because of Mikey's work schedule.  When he is free I try to get to a store.

This morning I went shopping and was shocked at the price of things. Chicken breast used to be a cheap source of protein, the most expensive was usually 60 yen for 100 grams. This morning it was 117 yen for 70 grams.  I really wanted fruit and vegetables, small lettuce, maybe enough for one meal, was almost 300 yen, and grapes were over 1000 yen.  Just 3 small bags of food cost almost 9000 yen.  I know that growing our own vegetables will help.  I need to study what to plant, when, and where!

In the 100 yen shop, I was shocked to see that they are starting to put out Halloween goods.

It's still August!!!

And I think some companies should hire somebody to check their English.

where's the "be"?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment