Pages

Friday, February 16, 2024

Exercise

 I always thought I'd never done exercise but reading back on some old journals, until my knee became very painful, I exercised a lot.  I logged how many minutes I walked or used my exercise bike, how long I walked the dogs.  I also did a lot of stretching and hand weights, until  I cracked a rib!  Two things happened that stopped me from really exercising, one was having a really bad asthma attack when I was walking one time.  Very scary, I was just walking when I started to cough and couldn't breathe. After that I started to do walking at-home videos, I felt that if I had another attack then at least at home I could cope better.  The other thing that stopped me altogether is the pain I have from having arthritis in my knee.  That has made even the most simple of movements difficult.  Since I've lost about 16 kilos that feels a bit better. But still, if I've done a lot of walking one day the next day the pain is terrible.

On days when my knee isn't too bad, I try to do some walking in place or I pace up and down the corridor, when I feel adventurous I add the stairs to the tour, but not very often.  I decided I needed something I could do on the days when my knee is too painful.  So I did a search on YouTube.  There are so many to choose from.  I searched for chair exercises for seniors.  I hate that I had to add seniors to the search, but that's what I am!!  I watch the video one time so I have an idea what is coming up.  The first one was an elderly man who never smiled, I got halfway through that video and felt so depressed!  Not for me.  Next, I found a lady who has a few different ones, some just stretching, some more cardio workout, hers I liked and did for a bit.  But I wanted to try some others.  One was a yoga video, this one I didn't watch first, big mistake.  The title was Chair Yoga for Seniors/beginners.  Started off nice and easy but ended up twisting into rather interesting shapes. Not for me!  Another one was very upbeat, nice music, very happy lady showing the exercises, but I found out that I have no co-ordination at all.  Her arms and legs were working independently of each other, mine won't!!  Then there was the one where we were told to sit on the edge of the chair, I started to copy the movements only to find myself on the floor.  Lots of fun but I'm still searching!!

My big problem is that I don't keep going. I do a few weeks or months then I stop.  Usually, because something has happened that puts me off exercising, for example, a broken rib and asthma attack, sometimes I get bored. Mostly because I don't see any results, no weight loss, no change in my size.  But I'm wondering now if doing some kind of exercise is what stopped me from getting diabetes earlier.  Even though my exercise wasn't consistent I was doing some and I know that when I push to exercise I'm more careful of what I eat.  I don't like to exercise so to do less I eat better, I don't know if that makes sense but to my logic it does.  

I have to get back into doing something every day.  I need to be in better shape for moving to the other house.  Also living in that house I'll have a massive garden to take care of, plus the land nearby.  If I don't start now I'll end up being housebound, which isn't a nice idea.  Even if I can't get to the shops I should be able to walk to the land we own nearby. I hope to grow some vegetables or fruits there.

sunbathing

Of course, if we could have a cat's life there would be no problems!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment