Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Not A Good Start

 2024 hasn't gotten off to a good start in Japan.

I wanted to post about the earthquake but am a little bit worried as there is a lot of misinformation out there.  An article I just glanced at stated that some people on social media are saying that this earthquake was an artificial quake and using images from the March 11th earthquake and tsunami saying that it's from this disaster.  

So I'll post my observations, please check reliable news sources as I might be wrong.

One thing that always amazes me when there are disasters in Japan is how calm people are.  Of course, during the earthquake, people start shouting but there isn't the absolute panic that I've seen in other countries.  In stores, most people drop to the ground, away from shelves, and wait until it's safe to get out.  The staff are calm and reassuring.  The baskets in supermarkets are designed to be used in case of an earthquake, they can be held over your head and act as a cover.  Another thing I've noticed is that even young children know what to do.  Earthquake drills are held regularly at schools.  I think this helps to lessen the panic.  At school the kids know to get under their desk, head first and to hold onto the legs of the desk, then to follow the teacher's instructions to evacuate the school. Doing this so often it becomes second nature to protect your head and listen to instructions.   

The big problem at the moment is getting to remote areas that have been cut off because the roads are so badly damaged.  Besides the local emergency services, the Self Defence Force has been mobilized for search and rescue in that area.  In past disasters, they have provided a variety of services from mobile hospitals to mobile baths for those staying at schools or other public places.  

One news segment I was watching was comparing the death toll of this quake and the one in Turkey/Syria last February. Both were 7.5 magnitude but in Turkey, about 55,000 people died, and whole apartment blocks collapsed.  In this latest quake in Japan, the death toll stands at 70 (that might go up as they get into the remote areas).  One reason might be that the population here is not so dense but also the fact that the Japanese prepare for disasters, have quick responses to them, and are always learning from past disasters.   For example more people were killed in the tsunami during the March 11 quake. People didn't respond fast enough, this time the highest tsunami alert was broadcast, across TV screens people were told to "Run Away", no polite "Please Evacute", just get out of the area.  I think this jolted people and they realized that they had to get away.  Also the alert told people not to go to the coast.  

All that was on January first.  So I was thinking that things should get better!  HA!  Plane crash at Haneda Airport!  I feel sorry for the Coast Guard crew that were killed, they were taking supplies to the earthquake area.  But again the training of the crew on the commercial flight and the calm way passengers acted saved lives.  I've only seen one video from inside the cabin.  The cabin was filling with smoke, you could hear people crying and coughing on the smoke.  But people were either sitting or just standing by their seats as the crew shouted instructions.  I thought people would be climbing over seats to get out!  In a few interviews I've watched the passengers praised the cabin crew for saving their lives!


I've decided not to watch the news for a few days.  It's all too stressful!

And a bad start for me.  Weight is up!!  Big sigh. I know I haven't been trying for the past month or so. I hoped I would just stay the same but I've put on about 2kgs.  Getting to 62kgs by 62 is looking like a real dream!  Also, my allergies are bad!!  

And we haven't been to the other house.  There is so much to do but we are busy or the weather is bad.  Many excuses!  This is causing me a lot of stress, which leads to munching!! Not good.

Tomorrow is Christopher's birthday.  I'll do a nice lunch but not sure what or who will be here to join in!! 

But that's another post!


No comments:

Post a Comment