Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2021

Sorting Out

 During my summer holiday I had great plans to sort out my walk in closet.  But plans and reality didn't meet up.  Yesterday I watched a bit of a program about hoarders.  My kids are always disgusted by these programs and they can be awful.  The reason I watch is to motivate myself to clean out and throw things away.  Most of the people on these programs are elderly and I can see how easy it can be to keep putting off cleaning out things until it becomes impossible.  I do it all the time, putting off cleaning because I'm too tired, it's too hot, cold or wet or whatever weather I don't like!  And sometimes it is just easier to ignore the problem.  This past week I was having problems finding something to wear, I pulled a T-shirt out of my draw but found that it had a stain on it, even though it had just been washed, another one was too small, some other tops are to low and my breast prosthetic can be seen when it moves in my bra.  So today I  pulled out all my clothes and dumped them on my bed, the bed was covered. The photo doesn't really show how much clothing there was.  I spent over an hour sorting and throwing out a load.  I got the pile down to two smaller piles.  I can also see what I will need to buy when the weather gets colder.  Some things that I was not sure of Hannah reminded me that I'd had the things for over 10 years but haven't worn them in the past 5!  Feels good to have that done!  Still have to do the closet!

Before pile covered my single bed

after just two piles


2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the Marie Kondo approach. I am doing a modified version of it, where I do one drawer every single day and it is making a huge difference in my life. I find my anxiety and depression lifting and life is just easier when I don't have to hunt for things, especially clothes. I have decided that I need to have fewer possessions... only things I really love and the best quality I can afford. I was cleaning out my parents house and realised how bogged down (tied down) they were by THINGS. I am done cleaning and going through my bedroom and kitchen. It took a about 2 weeks of an hours work everyday but I found all the clothes that fit and dishes I forgot we even owned. Every nook and cranny is scrubbed clean. Next step... working on all the paperwork and folders and then garage and then last of all the books and knick knacks in the study and living room. My kids are working hard on their own rooms. By the end of september I want few things in the house and every room ready to repaint and freshen up the decor. Your post gave me extra incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I've tried all kinds of methods to deal with clutter but I still get overwhelmed. One problem is living in Japan is that I feel I won't be able to get things again so I have to hold onto them. This might of been true when I first moved here in the 1990's but now with the internet most things are available, I have to update my thinking! Well done on your sorting out!

    ReplyDelete