Pages

Monday, May 16, 2022

Plastic

 I saw on the news that many households in UK had volunteered to weigh how much plastic they use.  It is hoped that by showing how much one use plastic is used supermarkets and government will be pushed to do something.  According to an article I read the UK is the 2nd largest user of plastic after the USA.

This got me thinking about my own use of plastic.  Just today for lunch I threw away plastic from lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, tofu, chicken and some meat.  That was for just one meal.  Add to the bread packet that was finished this morning, the snack breads we ate for breakfast and the bottled tea that Christopher drinks that is a lot of plastic.  Also in some supermarkets near here they will put things in a small plastic bag even though the product is already in a plastic bag.  I try to use my own shopping bags when I go shopping but the plastic bags are useful for the dirty cat litter, with  nine cats that's a lot of litter!  So I'm going to try and be careful and find alternatives to plastic.  I remember growing up that in grocery stores produce was open and put in a paper bag, drinks came in glass bottles and the only time my Mom needed a plastic carrier bag was at Christmas when she bought enough to feed an army!  If anybody has any ideas how to reduce plastic use drop me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment