Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Cost of Living Crisis......Japan Style

 Let me start with something positive before I get into my moaning session!   The face gel I bought works!  I went shopping this morning, of course had to wear a mask, which usually means I have rivers of sweat dripping down my face.  Today almost nothing!  By the fourth shop I started to feel a little damp on my forehead but nothing like before.  I'm so happy about that, one problem solved!

Before I left to go shopping this morning I found the postman had delivered my electric bill.  I was shocked to see that it was for 15000 yen ( about 94 pounds). This time of year it's usually half that!  That amount is normal in the summer because I run air conditioners!

Then at the shops I noticed that a lot of things have gone up.  I buy these lovely thick pork chops, two weeks ago they were 50 yen for 100 grams today 120 yen for 100 grams!  Most things that I buy have gone up by at least 20 yen.  Things that I want to buy fruits, vegetables, meat and fish are all a lot more expensive, snacks, crisps, snack bread haven't gone up that much.  

To make things worse we haven't had any new students this year!  April starts  the new school year and we normally get 3 to 5 students each month until the summer holidays then another lot in the fall.  This year nothing, no calls, non of Mikey's students from his volunteer teaching or kindergartens!  I'm trying not to panic but when our income only just covers the basics it's hard.  There is little help in Japan. Welfare is based on the family, if you need money then your extended family should help you. Problem is we have no family here, it's just us!  Before anybody asks the kids are helping out but it is still tight and they have their own bills to pay!

I know my situation is not that bad, I've been watching the news and seeing how bad things are in the UK makes me very sad!  I just wonder how much longer until the full force of this cost of living crisis hit Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment