Pages

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Feeling Nostalgic

 Maybe it's the time of year, maybe I'm just getting old but recently I've been thinking a lot about my childhood and teen years.

This started with a few Facebook groups I joined, talking about our memories, and things that a generation have in common.  Things like certain pop groups that we thought were the best ( The Osmonds), posters we would collect.  Listening to the Top 40 on a Sunday afternoon, waiting for a favorite song to come on.  Fashion that is cringe-worthy, American Tan tights with white socks over them,  platform shoes, I could never walk properly in them.  It's easy to look back and think how great everything was, how my generation had the best of times!  But did we?  

The news could be terrifying. I remember the kidnapping of Lesly Whittle.  She lived in the same village as my cousin's wife.  I was a bridesmaid at their wedding and remember driving past the Whittles house, the mother was outside sweeping the driveway, a scene I had seen on the news for many weeks!!


I'm on the end

Not a good photo, sorry.

I also remember a sugar shortage.  I couldn't understand why, and I don't think I've ever seen an explanation for that.

Another thing I remember was the IRA bombings.  I watched a documentary about this recently and found out that it was only a year but it felt longer.

One thing that I'm grateful for is the amount of information that is available either through the internet or documentaries that have been made. I can finally understand things that really baffled me as a kid. The news could seem strange,  why would a gate with water flowing over it be a big scandal in America.  I found out later that The Watergate was a hotel and office complex.  

Here's to memories and to making more.

I wonder what our kids will remember?



No comments:

Post a Comment