Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

March 11th 2011 two years on

There are some dates that people remember.  I have heard people say they remember exactly what they were doing when President Kennedy was assassinated.  For younger people Princess Diana's death, the 9.11 terror attacks and the bombing of the underground in London remain in our collective memories.  But for the Japanese and those living in Japan March 11th is synonymous with tragedy.  It was the day that the world changed forever for thousands of people.
I remember watching the images on TV, for days the news media ran the same images of water flooding areas, of houses, buildings, boats, cars, railways being sweeped away.  Of lives destroyed.  It seemed impossible that destruction on such a vast scale could happen. I think that mankind has become arrogrant in our belief that we can tame nature, that with our computers and machines we can bend the natural world to our will.  This disaters taught me that we are very small and rather weak when Mother Nature roars!

As the aftermath of the disaster became known I felt deeply saddened for all the people who suffered through it.  Where we live in Kyushu earthquakes are few and far between,  I could never imagine the shock that those people went through.  This year because of my own loss I feel more grieved than before.  Loosing my husband so suddenly was ( and still is) an awful shock.  I miss him everyday.  But I am lucky in that nothing else really changed in my life.  My kids are okay and give me strength through their determination to keep going.  My house is still standing, the city I live in is still there, the schools and stores unchanged.  Life around me goes on, even if I wish everything would stand still because it seems unreal that nobody else feels what I feel.  So I wonder and admire those that survived that most awful of days.  Those people lost everything, the people they loved, their pets, their homes and businesses.  Everything just gone!!  But they keep going, they are rebuilding.  Not just the structures for living but rebuilding lives and creating new memories.  Those people of the Tohuku Region are real heros!

2 comments:

  1. I was talking with a friend about the Tohoku earthquake just the other day. She was in Japan at the time and was also thinking a lot about it, while I had seen everything via the internet. I was so shocked how cruel it all was! Cars chasing away from the tsunami just metres behind them. I asked myself "omg what might be going on inside that car now". SO thankful, I have a quiet life.

    I discovered your blog recently and am deeply touched my your loss. I'm very sorry for you! Keep going forward! Only then you'll be able to see all those great things that life holds for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,
      Thank you for your comment.
      Yes it was cruel. But there were also miracles. One woman was trapped in her car as the water smashed around her. She really thought it was the end and offered prayers for her family. As her car got swept away it hit a building and the windscreen broke, she was able to get out and climb to a roof!!
      My loss is still fresh and grief is a horrible friend, it never leaves you alone. But I am trying to live a good life, my husband always tried to make me and the kids happy. So I try everyday to live the life my husband would want for us, this is my way to honor him.

      Delete