Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

What to make for lunch?

That is the question I ask everyday!  Recently I have gone off Japanese food, I think hubby made udon noodles once to often in the winter and just the thought of soya taste makes me feel sick.  But this is Japan and I have a budget.  So a few days a week I make Japanese style meals.  Today I made Gyudon, beef bowl.  The recipe I use is from a book I got years ago called "Stone Soup", I think it's out of print now, but I love this book.  It has all the basic recipes plus it is written in both Japanese and English,  helps when I don't know what the ingredients are!


The basic ingredients beef and shirataki


The finished product


Salad to balance all that meat
My kids love this and always want more.  I don't make too often though it is easy.
The recipe from the book is for just one serving,  I just add more of everything to make enough for six of us.
                                  

                                      Beef Bowl  (Gyudon)     For one person

                2oz (60gr)   beef, sliced thin
                1/4  onion
                1/4 pack of shiratake ( thin strands of konnyaku)
                1/2Tbsp. vegetable oil
                1/2Tbsp. sugar
                1/2 Tbsp. sake
                1  Tbsp.  soy sauce
                1/2   cup of dashi

                1 cup of steamed rice


    Cut meat into bite-sized pieces.  Slice onion thin.  Cut shirataki into 2ins (5cm) length and boil them briefly.

    Heat oil.  Add onions and saute until tender.  Add beef.
    When beef changes color add sugar,sake, soy sauce and dashi, in that order.  Add shirataki noodles,
cook about 5 minutes more.
     Place rice in large donburi bowl and arrange beef, onion and shiratake on top, spoon sauce over generously.
     Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment