Pages

Sunday, May 7, 2023

The Kitchen Sink

 Last week both Christopher and Hannah got sick.  Christopher started on Thursday, with a sore throat, sinus headache, and stuffy, runny nose.  I thought it might be allergies because I was down with allergies on Tuesday.  But Thursday night Hannah started to complain of a sore throat.  Looks more like a cold.  Problem with Hannah is that she always gets very high fevers.  Friday afternoon her fever was up to 39C.  She slept most of the day.  By dinner time she felt better but hungry.  Dinner in our house is usually self-service.  We have our main meal at lunch, then leftovers or whatever can be found in the kitchen for dinner.  Our evening schedules are crazy,  David doesn't eat, he's still sleeping, but will have breakfast at about 10:30.  Mikey eats at about 9pm.  Christopher at 9:30 if he has work, and earlier if no work.  Hannah either after 10pm when she has work at the cram school but earlier if working at the drug store.  

Last Friday was a holiday so I decided to make something for Christopher and Hannah, maybe some nice soup.  Started washing the dishes and noticed that the water wasn't draining.  The kitchen sink here is rather strange.  There are two sinks, one very large, the other too small to be useful.  The second sink I use to drain the wet dishes.  The two sinks are connected underneath.  I noticed that the dirty water from the large sink was backing up to the small sink.  I decided to unscrew the waste pipe to drain out the sinks and see if I could find what was blocking the sink.  I managed to unscrew the pipe from the big sink but the weight of the water pulled the pipe away from the small sink, ripping the plastic, making both sinks unusable.  Time to call the plumber.  We had phone numbers for emergency plumbers.  Hannah had to call.  But she wasn't sure how to explain what was wrong in Japanese.  She managed somehow.  The plumber came at 7:30 and got the sink fixed in about 10 minutes, cost was 7000 yen, about 40 pounds.   I'm glad that it's fixed and that it didn't cost too much!

David keeps taking my phone to take selfies, so I'm putting them here.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment