Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

One Year Ago

 This week a year ago we lost our lovely dog Lucky.

Somehow I'm still deeply saddened by this.  I know she was a dog but for me she was a very special dog.  We got her for Christopher, he was 10 years old at the time and really having a hard time.  We had to move in with my mother in law, which was hard on all of us.  She wasn't the grandmotherly type at all.  Christopher was being bullied at school and the teacher had no way of stopping it.  Because of this I let Christopher stay home sometimes.  This back fired because my mother in law kept telling him that he was being bullied because he was stupid.  Poor kid didn't have a safe place to be.  We had just got Lucky at that time, so playing with her and as she got bigger long walks really helped Christopher!

A coupe of months old 




Lucky at a couple of years old
After a year we managed to move out from mother in laws house.
Moving to where we live now was great for us.  Both of our dogs had a lovely big yard to play in. Our other dog died a year after we moved here.  Because of the rental agreement they could be inside but the way we set things up we could open the windows from the living room and they could get in.  I would of allowed them in but my neighbours might have reported us and I couldn't risk getting evicted.  When the weather was bad, too cold, too hot or too wet we would let Lucky inside.  But she was never really happy, she would sit by the window and cry.  She hated thunderstorms.  One year we had a very bad storm.  Hannah, Lucky and I sat in the corridor crying!  
She was a very friendly dog.  Even the vet said he had never met such a friendly dog.  She was always happy to meet people but we had to be careful as she would jump up!  One time my husband decided to use the bike to walk her around the area.  My husband came back limping!  Apparently he was riding a bit fast, Lucky was having a good run when something caught her attention and she stopped suddenly pulling my husband off the bike!  He didn't try that again.
I was glad that we had such a big dog after my husband died.  She was very friendly but have the deepest bark.  I always felt protected with her in the house at night.
My fondest memories of Lucky are the long walks with Christopher.  She was very strong and I have back problems so I couldn't walk her myself.  But Christopher and I would go in the late evenings, after the pavement had cooled down, for about half an hour or more.  It was a nice time to talk to Christopher, especially after my husband died, one on one time became important for my kids!
I miss her so much.  During the first year after my husband died I would go and talk to her, she would love me up with her daftness and cuteness.  It really helped!
So now I'm crying!

No comments:

Post a Comment