Recipes

Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Jesus Christ Superstar

 Yesterday Hannah and I went to the city to watch Jesus Christ Superstar.

The show started at 6:30 but Hannah wanted to do some shopping and have a look around for a bit first. We arrived at about one o'clock. Did a bit of window shopping, and went to the bookstore where Hannah bought some books, we wanted to have a late lunch/early dinner so went in search of a restaurant that Hannah had been to before, but, of course, we got lost! 

Train stations in the larger cities are massive, most have department stores, stores, and restaurants built onto the station. Hakata Station is the biggest in Kyushu. The train station has 8 platforms for regular trains, 4 platforms for the Shinkansen, and access to the subway system. There is a bus station in the next building.

The station itself is home to three department stores, that are 11 stories high, and there is a massive basement system that is like a maze, it's so easy to get turned around.  

I love this place but it frustrates me no end. I just want to go to a few places, that should be easy to find but one wrong turn and you can end up wandering around for ages! 

We had a good walk around. Found some lovely shops and a food floor that I would love to go back to but have no confidence that I could find again. This food store had a counter selling real cheese, blocks of cheese! I wanted to buy some but it was a bit expensive!  Next time?

We finally found the restaurant by going back to where we started from and turning right instead of left. The restaurant was just a 5-minute walk, around the corner from where we started from!

The meals we had were really nice. I think this place caters to an older crowd, traditional Japanese cuisine. 

Hannah's lunch

And mine

Hannah had sashimi, raw fish, on rice with miso soup. I had an assortment of different things, mackerel, tofu, sashimi, and some vegetables, with rice and miso soup.  Both were very nice, filing, and good value for money.

I liked the use of the jars to decorate

waiting for lunch

After lunch, we decided to head to the theater, another adventure. The theater is in a shopping mall, just a few minutes walk from the station. Most times we walk but yesterday it was pouring down and there was thunder about. We used the subway, it's just one stop from the train station.

By the time we got there, I was in agony! My knee was throbbing and my back really hurt. I was soaking wet with sweat, it was dripping off my face.  I had two hand towels with me, both were wet by this time. I did manage to have a look around a vintage clothes store. Made me a bit sad that things from the 1970s are now vintage!! I enjoyed the music they had playing, really my era! Maybe I'm vintage as well!

We went and waited outside the theater. I was happy to see a few mothers and daughters together. It's a nice thing to do together!

Hannah was all excited because they had leaflets for Phantom of the Opera, which is coming next year,

Next year

Once inside the theater, we could see the cast board, Hannah was very excited as some of her favorite musical actors were playing.

The cast for Jesus Christ Superstar

The theater is new and very nice. We had good seats on the balcony, right at the front. Before the show started we were allowed to take photos. Most of the time that is not allowed, something about the copyright of the stage set.

View of the stage

The pamphlet that Hannah bought

The show itself was impressive!  I think the story of the Passion of Christ is difficult to tell, regardless of the medium used. The musical itself captures the heart of Jesus, Judas, and the disciples very well. I don't think these people are easy to portray, especially for actors who don't have a Christian background. How to be sensitive in portraying somebody who is central to a religion that is adhered to by billions of people? I think it would be easy to over-act the part of Jesus, but the actor in this play managed to bring Jesus to life in a very realistic way, you could feel the despair and determination of Jesus as He face the crucifixion. I've watched this musical in English several times and know the storyline, that's why watching in Japanese isn't a problem. In the English productions I've watched I was never really moved by the death of Judas, but in this production, his death is really moving, I felt the despair of Judas as he descended into madness before he killed himself!  

As always, the show felt too short. It's just over two hours, but it felt as if it had just begun when it finished.  I was shocked to go outside and find it was dark.

We got back to the station feeling a bit peckish, so grabbed a bite to eat and then went to get the train back. 

I was glad to get home. I really enjoyed my day, just being with Hannah for the day, window shopping and restaurant lunch was so much fun. But I'm paying for it today.  I'm so tired and my legs are killing me. I want to travel a bit but if just going into the city is this exhausting I don't know that I can. I guess I should get back into exercising and try to lose more weight!

Hannah and I looking good before we went out!






No comments:

Post a Comment