Recipes

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Getting There

 I managed to go to the other house today.

The last time I went was just before the typhoon, so we basically just put stuff that was outside into the storage room.

Today David and Christopher came, we managed to get a lot done.

Christopher spent time outside burning more trash. Thankfully most of the trash has gone. It's taken over 2 years to really get rid of stuff.  My mother-in-law passed away 4 years ago, at that time we had no plan to move there so we just took out obvious trash, but the things that she had hoarded we left, my plan was when we had time to go and take care of things, maybe use the house as a summer home. Being told that we have to vacate the house we are in pushed us to clear things out.  I never thought we would get to an almost empty house, it honestly felt as if the stuff was multiplying behind our backs!  I remember feeling so happy that I had emptied out 20 of those big boxes only to go into another room and find 30 more, plus a wardrobe and two chests of drawers.  All that is behind us now. I've left a few pieces of furniture, I plan to replace them in the future but just don't have the money as yet.

We cleaned out the main dining/kitchen room. I took down the curtains and blinds, they were filthy and covered in mold. I threw out the counter that was in there, I did think about keeping it but it was really tatty. I need to find something to replace it as the only counter space is about the size of a chopping board! David pulled out the paper that had been put in the bottom cupboards, I think the idea was to catch splashes but the paper hadn't been changed for years.  He cleaned part of the kitchen, it looks better but needs a few more scrubs before I feel it's okay to cook in. We went to a local home center and bought some carpet tiles, blue, David's choice. I was going to just have the floor bare but it's been ruined, again something will have to be fixed but in the future!

All in all a good morning, exhausting but I can see some progress so it's good!

David  putting the carpet tiles

Just having those few carpet tiles down makes it feel more like a home. One good thing is they are easy to change if the cats mess, which they will!  David has these in his room, one problem is that the cats seem to mess where the tiles meet, not in the middle!!

A few months ago

Now

It's nice to see how far we've come. Still a lot to do but I can have a bit of hope that things will be done on time!

I'm amazed at the difference, just a few wipes and it looks better.

This countertop was black!! 

I still want to clean everywhere again but it looks so much better! I couldn't reach the backspace, I'm not tall enough!  

Managed to fill 3 big boxes, as always more to move.  Still, we are getting there!



No comments:

Post a Comment