Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Lucky

Sad post ahead!
Our lovely Labrador dog, Lucky, lost her battle with cancer Tuesday night.
We didn't even know she was sick.  She had slowed down over the past week, but I thought that was more because of her age (12 years old, which is 89 for labs) and the heat.  Monday night she vomited everywhere.  Christopher moved her, gave her fresh water, left her in a cool place.  Checked on her in the morning, she seemed okay but kind of sleepy.  In the evening when he went to walk her she couldn't stand up.  We took her to the emergency vets. He found that she had cancer.  The vet said that even if we do nothing she won't make it through the night and she was in pain, even though she wasn't crying or making a fuss.  We decided that the kindest thing to do was to have her put to sleep.  We stayed with her, talked to her, held her as she slipped away. Heartbreaking to say the least.  She was a lovely dog. The regular vet that we took her to was amazed at how friendly she was, she didn't snap at the staff but gave them wet kisses!  She helped Christopher a lot when my husband died, he would take her for long walks, giving him the space and time he needed to deal with his grief.  I use to talk to her a lot as well.  She was scared of thunder storms, one lasting memory I have is Hannah, Lucky and I sitting in the corridor during a really bad storm, all 3 of us crying!  
I hope she happy and at peace over the rainbow bridge!

When we first got her
couple of months ago


4 comments:

  1. I just saw this post in one of my rare visits fo facebook. I feel with you, Jackie, as I prepare for the moment when our 13 year old mutt from a shelter will pass on to the other side. She's significantly slowing down and showing signs. There must be a heaven for dogs! They bring us so much unconditionality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believing there is a place for our animals is one thing that comforts my heart! I have four dogs there, two were my parents dogs and two my family's dogs. I imagine them racing around, chasing each other and chasing their tails!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Lucky. I know it's really sad to lose a family pet that you have loved for years.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a hard week. Still crying almost every night!

      Delete