Pages

Friday, November 30, 2018

Sitting Disease

I'm reading an interesting book called Move More by Amanda Sterczyk.
In it she is talking about how are lives have become sedentary.
According to medical experts we should get 150 minuets of exercise a week.
But according to this author we should be moving more in our daily lives.  Most of
us spend hours a day sitting, our modern world has taken away the need to move.
Office work, sitting cars during our commute, and our free time is dedicated to screens.
As I was reading this I realized how much more sedentary my life is compared to my Moms.
She worked two or three part time jobs, she worked in a small shop where she had to
stand all the time, she also worked as a cleaner, which was very hard physical work.
At home she cleaned, running the vacuum cleaner everyday, hanging laundry out,
picking up the flutters etc. Also she didn't drive, once a week she would go
to the supermarket in her friend's car but for daily things she would walk to the shop
or use the bus.  Her life was active and she never worried about weight or related
problems! I am the complete opposite, I can actually go a whole day and not move
from my sofa.  The summers are the worse as the heat makes me so sick that even the
daily activities don't get done!  But I spend far to much time watching TV, reading or on the
computer.  Even my work is sitting down.  I don't cook everyday,  David takes care of that!
I ask the kids to clean and hang laundry so my physical activity is very limited!
From the first few chapters of this book I can really see that I need to change my
lifestyle.  In the book she talks about how our bodies get stiff if we don't move and that is
so true.  Sometimes when I get up I feel more like an 80 year old.  So I have to
find a way to move more during the day.  But I need to be careful, I tend to over do
things then hurt myself or get too tired.  So baby steps to a fuller life filled with movement!

1 comment:

  1. Really true. I took my blood pressure some time ago and it was 170 so started walking 30 minutes every day and it went down to 138 after first day.

    ReplyDelete