Pages

Monday, November 7, 2022

Shocked

 I got the gas bill this morning.  Usually at this time of year it's about 6000 yen, about 35 pounds.  Which is reasonable for hot water and cooking for a month.  This morning's bill was 9000 yen, about 55 pounds, an increase of 3000 yen without an increase in usage.  I have no idea how much it will be once I start using the gas heaters!  At the moment we are okay as the sun warms up the main rooms and this house keeps the heat.  My biggest worry is the room I use to teach in. I don't want my students to be uncomfortable, but I don't know if I can afford heating!  I'm hoping the weather will stay mild for a few more weeks!

My business isn't doing very well either.  We usually get two or three students every month, this year we have gotten only one new one.  That is really bad.  We advertise a lot; Mikey does volunteer teaching at a lot of community centers, we have an advert in a local magazine and a homepage but nothing.  I feel desperate and it's getting me down! I've been looking to do some online work, surveys but everything is in Japanese and I can't read that much.  I guess just keep looking!

I planned to go to Costco next month for Christmas but now I'm wondering if I can justify spending a lot of money on two or three meals.  I know it's once a year but the money I spend could be used to buy food for a week.  The kids are helping.  Christopher is trying to get a second job; David buys the cat food and shops once or twice a week.  I never thought it would get this bad.  I know my family isn't the only one struggling and I still have a lot to be thankful for.  But it really sucks!!!

How are other people coping?  How are you dealing with Christmas?


3 comments:

  1. Maybe teaching through zoom/online is the solution? Students would have a chance to interact with you, but you would not have to worry about room temperature or cleaning. They would save money on commute. You could also reach students who live far from you. Maybe start advertising that option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would the local elementary school allow you to have flyers for the students? If so, you could reach many children, Do you have a local newspaper? Maybe put in an ad for your school. The zoom or google chat is also a good idea. During Covid I taught my 1st graders using Zoom. Wasn't the easies thing I had ever done, but it worked. About Christmas , instead of a big western feast what about seafood, or pasta dishes or stews. Maybe start new traditions, Sorry you have having these difficulties. Try not to stress too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to get permission from the school. Can't hurt to ask. Also thinking of putting our leaflet into the newspapers. There are a lot of ways to advertise but am feeling rather overwhelmed at the moment!

      Delete