Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2021

Having a Laugh

 I've realized that I am totally stressed by this pandemic.  There again I guess most people are!  Until December the virus felt far away, I didn't know anyone who was sick and the cases being reported were always in another city.  Now there is a cluster in Hannah's school, too close for comfort.  One thing that helps me with stress is finding the funny things in life, things that make me laugh or at least smile.  Here are a few things that have happened over the past couple of weeks that have done that.

Even though I don't want to I still have to food shop, I try to be as fast as possible in the stores and only shop once or twice a week.  The other day I came back exhausted from doing a big shop, four different stores in two towns.  I have a hard time walking because of my knee plus it was freezing cold.  Got home and all nine of my cats were curled up on the sofa.  Of course I say hello to them but I came out with "Hello dogs!"  Hannah just looks at me and asks why I'm teaching English!

Then Christopher asked me to sew up his trousers.  He stooped down to pick up a box at work and his trousers split, he spent 3 hours with his arse hanging out!

Then there is David, who has the most incredible stories.  In Japan in all stores you are greeted with "Irashaimase" which basically means welcome, it's said in a loud, cheerful voice.  David works in a local convenience store, he said that he shouts out "irashaimase" hundreds of times a day when he is working!  When he is working a long shift I make him a big breakfast, but Friday was just 6am to 9am so something quick.  I made him a lovely cheese on toast.  He are half of it then said that he doesn't like cheese on toast, he likes cheese and he likes toast but not together.  He went off to work.  The first hour was kind of busy, but at about 7am things have slowed down.  All the other jobs that need doing like checking toilets are clean, emptying bins, checking shelves are full have all been done so David is just standing about waiting for customers.   He is feeling rather hungry by now and thinking about food.  Finally David hears the door open and he calls out, in English, in a lovely loud cheerful voice "I'M HUNGRY".  To say he wished the floor would open up and swallow him is an understatement!  


David!!


1 comment:

  1. That is what being bilingual does to you. I am teaching my friend's dog English.She is a 'temporary' lodger If I could sell dog's hairs I would make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete