Pages

Friday, April 15, 2016

TOTALLY FREAKED OUT

The earthquake I wrote about yesterday was bad.  After shocks were on going through out the day.  Not too bad here, 2 or 3.
Went to bed at 11pm, exhausted, bit worried.  But I thought the worst was over.  Was I wrong!
Got woken up at 1:30 with the whole house moving.  For those who haven't experienced an earthquake it is hard to describe.  This structure, that is solid and has withstood typhoons and thunderstorms is swaying like a reed in the breeze.  The noise that goes with is horrifying.  Sounds like the earth is roaring and tearing apart at the seams.  My instinct is to run, just to get away from it but the best thing is to stay put if there is nothing that can fall on you!  I put pillows over Hannah and hope that the boys have the sense to do the same!  The quake seemed to go forever but it was only 40 seconds!  As soon as it finished I got everybody downstairs.  The epicenter was in a similar area as the night before but the magnitude was 7, here it registered as 5!  That is the strongest I've ever experienced (and hope to NEVER experience again).  As we watched the live news and got an idea of the strength of the quake another one hit.  It was so intense that the news didn't have time to report one quake before another hit.  This went on for an hour or so.  Here the quakes were getting weaker but we could still feel them.  Mikey and David went back to bed.  Christopher, Hannah and I stayed downstairs. I was trying to sleep on the sofa.  Then at 3:55 another big one hit!  I called the boys down as NHK issued a warning for the whole of Kyushu.  Basically saying be ready to evacuate.  There have been a few more quakes but here they are not strong.  I really hope the worse is over.
I know we are lucky here.  In Kumamoto apartment blocks have collapsed, one hospital is leaning over, there are fires, highways have been destroyed.  There was also report of one dam being damaged.  I went out this morning, even our bikes didn't fall over!
But I am really feeling the stress.  My body is over reacting.  Even typing this is making the computer desk shake and I can feel my stomach churn.  When we  have the TV on and the alarm goes off I start heaving and throwing up.  Feels the same as when my husband died, my bodies reaction to stress!  I keep telling myself that I can't change this. All I can do is be prepared, be ready to get out and keep the kids safe.  I can't stop the quakes and I guess nature has to take its course to get back in balance but it is driving me crazy!
I read in a novel once that Mother Nature is bipolar.  Looking out at my yard this morning I feel this is so true, spring is really here and even though my yard is a mess I can see lots of flowers coming up, everything is green.  Compare that to the destruction of last night!!!  Really bipolar!!!

5 comments:

  1. Sending calming vibes and a warm hug to you from Kyoto. Just found your blog surfing over from Mrs. N and We Speak Japanese and English. I know exactly that knot in your stomach that comes from big quakes. The effects of 3-11 are burnt into my memory forever.
    I hope things calm down quickly and the sense of peace and security returns soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Jackie. I've been thinking about you and the other people I know in Kyushu. I went through something similar (although not as close to the epicenter) 2011.

    Try to keep in touch with friends and keep a sense of normality going at home.

    I'm hoping the Earth will calm down soon.

    Big virtual hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments. Had to pop out to the shops, I was surprised at how subuded everybody seemed, even the kids were quiet! We are still having little shakes, I really hope the worse has passed. But Kumamoto is still being hit by rather large aftershocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope things are settling down. I can't imagin how scary earthquakes are. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope things are settling down. I can't imagin how scary earthquakes are. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete