Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2016

EARTHQUAKE

I know that this is Japan and that Japan is prone to earthquakes. But this is Kyushu and in the 25 years I have been here I can count on one hand the number of news worthy earthquakes.
Last night at 9:26 I was in the middle of my last lesson when the whole house started to move.  I looked at my student, who was far too calm, he said "Earthquake"  I called for the kids to get into the living room and stay together!  The kids put on NHK news, which within a few minutes was showing the epicenter in Kumamoto, which is about an hour and half drive from here.  The earthquake registered as a magnitude 7.  That was followed by a series of after shocks. According to news this morning there have been 104 earthquakes recorded since last night.
Hannah went into total freaked out mode.  Poor girl gets easily scared and it was scarey.  I let her stay down stairs with me until the worst had past.  We went to bed just after 1am.  I could still feel a few shakes but not as bad.  I feel really sorry for the people at the epicenter, in ine town people were evacuated from their home and had to spend the night outside.  It was rather cold last night, the news was showing people just sitting on the floor with blankets wrapped around them.
These quakes could go on for the next week, so not fun!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you and family are safe. My son,DIL and GS live in Kagoshima. Exchanged emails. Safe but scary. GS slept through the whole thing.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nepal earthquake will make lots of tragedy in Nepal where people are suffered with food and shelters and medicines. patanjali Yog Peeth take step to providing them these all facilities and helping them. For more information Please visit my site: - nepal earthquake

    ReplyDelete