Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

Helping Hand

One the way home from the supermarket last night, Mikey and I , saw an old woman struggling with her bags.  She would take two steps, put her bags down, take two more steps and stop again.  It was dark ( this is after 9o'clock) and very cold.  We both felt sorry for her, so I got out of the car and offered to help her carry her bags for a bit.  I wasn't in a rush and felt that the least I could do was help her get off the dark, narrow road!  I took her bags and asked her which way.  She said she was okay and not to bother but it was obvious that she wasn't okay.  I walked with her a few minutes, chatting, in my bad Japanese, about the weather and how difficult it is to have to walk in the dark.  It felt good to help out.  Until I got back to the car!  Mikey said that according to his friends it is not a good idea to help out.  If something happens to the person while helping out, the person could blame you!  When I thought about this I felt that maybe the old lady thought I was trying to steal her food or that it was too much for her me helping her.  I went to bed feeling really guilty for helping out this old lady.  But then I wondered what kind of society do we live in where wondering if a good dead will come back and bite us stops us from helping out!  What do you think? 

2 comments:

  1. You did the right thing! I can't believe the kind of attitude that people have towards this kind of thing now. I know that I might not be able to change people's way of doing things, but I can show them that the world doesn't have to turn into a cold place where people ignore others pain. Hopefully your son saw what you did and will in turn do it for someone else, and someone else will see what he does and do it for someone else... snowballing back to what society really should be!
    Sleep well knowing you are a good person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne,
      Thanks for the comment, it was Mikeys idea to stop, he also goes out of his way to help others. He does magic and is on his way to being a profesional magician but he does a lot of shows for free for schools and old peoples homes. He is looking to go to the childrens hospital here for Christmas, we will see if he can!
      I think like you, doing good always helps.

      Delete