Recipes

Thursday, June 20, 2024

Weather

 This time of year is the rainy season here in Japan. 

The past few years have meant very heavy rain, causing floods and landslides.

I know from the news that some places have been hit with floods but so far we are okay.  We had rain yesterday, almost 24 hours. I enjoyed it as the temperature dropped from 34C to about 25C.  Today it's hot again, up to 30C this afternoon. 

I often think of this poem when the weather is driving me crazy.


Whether the weather be fine or whether the weather be not

Whether the weather be cold or whether the weather be hot

We'll whether the weather, whatever the weather

Whether we like it or not


I love teaching this to my older students!  

I've realized that moaning about the weather is a very human thing.  In the winter it's too cold, in the summer too hot.  I'm trying to appreciate the seasons more, even summer that I don't enjoy.  One way is to enjoy the different available foods.  Seasonal favorites are a big thing here. It's almost impossible to get out-of-season fruits and vegetables.  Autumn is the season for apples, they are really plentiful and delicious but now there are almost no apples in the supermarket. The fruits now are melons, peaches, plums, and some berries.  I can't remember if this is the case in the UK.  Cooking shows have programs on how to use seasonal fruits and vegetables.  I like that they show traditional recipes with a modern twist. I don't watch the programs but buy the magazines, It's one way of studying Japanese!

So summer is here.  Early and apparently this year is going to be very hot.  I'm wondering if the other house will be cooler as it's at a slightly higher elevation. I'm also wondering if one or two degrees will make that much difference when it gets to over 35C.  I guess we will find out!

The cats are suffering from the heat as well.  They are lying around all day, only getting active in the early morning or night.

The other day Alan was flat on his back!  David put his phone on Alan's stomach, Teletubbies.

Teletubbies


No comments:

Post a Comment