Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Money

 Again we are struggling. Even with the kids working, Mikey 3 jobs, Hannah two, David night shift, 12 midnight to 9am and Christopher at the local supermarket and whatever freelance writing he can pick up we still are struggling.  

There is never anything left at the end of the month. We can't buy anything, my shoes are falling to pieces, I got my hair cut but couldn't afford a color.  We all need new clothes for the summer but have no idea how to afford them.  I feel guilty because I spent a fortune at the doctors this month because of shingles.  The only luxury we have are the cats.  There is nothing saved for the other house.  I know once we move there I'll be saving the rent but half of that will be spent on renting the community center to teach and gas to go back and forth.  The rest will go to pay off loans. 

We haven't had any new students these past few months, no calls nothing. Part of that is I feel everyone is struggling.

I don't understand economics.  I read about what is happening but I don't understand.  But I see what is happening around me.

The minimum wage where we live is 692 yen, that's about 3.45 pounds.  To put it in context a litre of milk is between 100 yen and 200 yen, 10 eggs cost 170 yen, bread is 150 yen for 6 slices.  Chicken breast is 70 yen for 100 grams, and pork is about the same.  I shopped on Monday, bought some meat, vegetables, fruit, and milk, three bags of groceries cost just over 9000 yen,  44.90 pounds.  That was just enough for two days!!

Japan imports 94% of its raw materials for energy and 62% of its food.  With the yen getting weaker that means prices will go up. Plus there is a 10% tax on everything!  

The government keeps on about the aging population, which is a real problem.  The pension is too small to live on, so many old people keep working, taking the place of young people.  Even though my mother-in-law paid into the system from 17 years old she only got 50,000 yen a month (about 250 pounds).  Until she was hospitalized when she was about 80 years old she had to work.  The welfare officer told me that my mother-in-law had diabetes because her diet was so poor.  The problem was she could only afford carb-heavy foods. Meat, fish, fruits and vegetables were very few and far between.  This is the plight of many elderly people, no real pension, no savings, and no real income. 

Welfare as it is understood in the UK doesn't exist here. Your family is expected to help you out.  A few months ago I was struggling to pay our national insurance so I went to the city hall to see if something could be done.  The first question I was asked was if the kids could help. I explained that they were helping but we had a lot of new things to pay for because of moving. I was then asked if our relatives could help out, I explained that we have no relatives here.  Only after that did the officer make inquiries to see what help I could get.  

I really don't see what my future will be. I have to put a lot of money into the house, no choice. I would love to have money to travel but that is becoming more and more a dream!  

I got so desperate that I set up a GoFundMe account but the site only has PayPal or Bitcoin as its payment options.  I chose PayPal, but the site says they have problems with it in Japan!  They suggested that I use Bitcoin!! I don't know anybody who has Bitcoin and I have no idea how to use it!  

Fluffy on a tray
Just a daft picture to catch your attention!


No comments:

Post a Comment