Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Exercise Part 2

 Back in February, a friend challenged me to do 40 days of exercise.  I managed to do that and found that it really helped my body.  The exercises I chose were very gentle chair exercises for seniors. Most of the videos I did were 15 minutes long. After the 40 days finished I kept up with the exercises, doing 3 to 5 days a week. I was surprised at how good I felt.  I have arthritis in my knee and lower back pain.  Standing or walking for more than 15 minutes would leave me in absolute agony. After doing exercises for a month I found I could stand longer and longer.  I remember one day I cleaned the kitchen, cleaned out the pantry, and then cooked lunch, about an hour and a half on my feet and I only started to feel a little twinge in back in the last 10 minutes or so.  I was so excited!  One thing want to do after we are settled in the other house is travel but I felt it would be impossible because of all the walking involved.

Then I got shingles.  Everything stopped.  I'm grateful that I think I got a mild case, some people I have talked to were sick for months.  For me, it's been just over 3 weeks.  I still have a bit of pain, but it's not crippling, I actually don't notice it until I'm very tired!  Also, the rash had faded to a red blotch. But three weeks of being inactive have set me back. I noticed yesterday that my back was hurting a lot after cooking and cleaning.  Today my knee is achy! 

Another lesson learned!  I need exercise. I need to stretch, move my body, and build some muscle.

I don't know when I will start again.  But I have to.  This is part of my journey to being healthy.  

Tomorrow we are going to the other house.  I know after that I won't feel up to doing anything extra.  Thursday I might try an easy chair yoga video.  

At the moment I'm making mental lists of the things that need to be done. I want to get packed up here as soon as possible, start cleaning the house, get utilities turned on, find out about the toilet and the land. Lots to do, but little time and less money!!

Steve being cute

It's a cat's life!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment