Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

B-Day

 The day to get rid of the bees!

Didn't go to plan.  The first idea was to tape some mesh over the vents.  Two problems, one, how to get the mesh to stick.  The material that the mesh is made out of doesn't stick very well to tape.  The second problem was how to get close enough to the vents with bees going in and out.

I decided that instead of trying to cover the vent to cover myself.  I thought it would be best if I did the spraying.  Christopher has an allergy to bees.  If I got stung then David could drive me to a hospital.  But David decided that he would do the spraying!

I was shocked to see that the bees were using two vents to go in and out, one on the front of the house and one on the side!  I think the hive must have gotten bigger!

I put a very thin gauze scarf over David's head and face, held in place with a cap, he was wearing long sleeves and gloves.  He used up all of the spray we had bought!  I went inside the room over where the hive is, the noise was incredible, it sounded like some kind of motor.  By the time we left, there were almost no bees.  I'm planning on going again on Friday and will give it another good spray!

One thing that cheered me up is the blueberry bushes have fruits on them.  Looking forward to fresh blueberries.  I hope to get enough to make jam, I've only made it once but would love to try again!  Fresh blueberries are very expensive here, actually, most fruits are expensive.  I would love to try and grow some fruits.  I'm wondering if you can buy mature trees!  Something else to look up!

blueberries just starting

Of course, now that the weather is warming up all the creepy crawlies are coming out.

I was trying to clean out the last small room putting things to throw away into bags to take to the city incinerator, when a Godzilla-sized cockroach came out.  I screamed for help, David came with a baseball bat and Christopher with a mallet.  Poor cockroach didn't stand a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment