Recipes

Thursday, August 6, 2026

My Brain Is Melting

 At least that's what it feels like!

It's been so hot here! Monday was 40℃ in the city where we live. We are slightly elevated, so here it was 39℃, no difference really!

Every day, though, the temperature is above 35℃. It feels relentless; we had a few showers on Tuesday, but that made things worse. I felt as if there was no air outside!

The people who live at the epicentre of last week's earthquake are experiencing the same weather, but they have no power and no running water. Help is getting there, but one problem is that kilometres of downed power lines will take time to put up again!

In Kurume City, there is a 3-day summer festival that ends with an incredible fireworks display. This display has become so popular that there are now two venues along the river, two separate displays. This year, however, the display was cancelled as there weren't enough firefighters; a lot were sent to help in the earthquake area.

So why do I feel as if my brain is melting?

The past week, I've had a few misadventures with time and language that I can only attribute to a melting brain!

Monday, early evening, I was so exhausted from going to my friends, then cleaning my room and organising my new desk. About 5:30, I decided to close my eyes for a bit. I had a headache starting and thought that resting for an hour would be better than taking aspirin. I woke up at 6:30, in complete panic. I went to Christopher's room, knocking on the door, saying that I was sorry I hadn't made breakfast, but I still had time to make an obento. Christopher just looked at me. He said, "Mom, it's still yesterday", which doesn't make sense! I looked at him, the told me that it was still Monday evening; I hadn't overslept! I looked at my phone, and sure enough, it was still Monday. I thought I had slept from 5:30 Monday evening to 6:30 Tuesday morning!

I'm also having problems remembering English words. For some unknown reason, I remember the Japanese word but not the English word. That is very weird, as my Japanese is not that good. The other evening I was talking to one of my students about discrimination, but I couldn't remember that word; the Japanese word sabetsu came easily to me! 

Am I losing my mind? Is this the beginning of dementia? I don't think so; I think it's just a mix of being exhausted because of the heat, feeling anxious about a lot of things and trying to do too much at once! I am aware that at my age there could be early signs of dementia, so I'm reading about that and how to avoid it. I always think of my hairdresser. She's in her 80s but is still working and has a lot of energy. She eats healthily, she exercises, and her work means she is standing all day. She is always learning new things; recently she took up the piano! Because of her work, she has social contact every day. These are all things that are recommended to keep your brain functioning well. I want to have that kind of life; I don't want to be that old lady sitting in a chair, drooling and staring into space! This is part of my motive for my health reset! Also part of the reason I've started my Etsy shop; there's a lot to learn!

I've been busy making more T-shirt designs. It's fun, but some of the designs don't work on T-shirts. I'm wondering what to do with these pictures!



I used this photo of my cats for the above picture.

I'm wondering what to do with these pictures.

I've been trying to add my Etsy Store as a hyperlink on the sidebar, but it just won't work.

So here's the link.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JackiesNekoTales

Have a look. I need to start making sales!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment