Recipes

Monday, August 17, 2026

Another Earthquake!

 The big earthquake we had at the end of last month was south of Kumamoto City, about a 2-hour drive south of here. Because it was a big quake- M7.1 at the epicentre and an M5 here- we have had aftershocks; most are small, but still a nerve-racking experience!

This morning, however, there was an earthquake just an hour's drive north of here. 

This one wasn't that big, M4.4, but rather shallow. Where we were was an M1; where Hannah lives, an M2.

This is worrying. The area where the earthquake was this morning is part of another fault line that runs through a densely populated area. Japan is 70% mountains, so cities were built wherever possible. At least with more modern buildings, the risk is minimised. Even though earthquakes freak me out, even the small ones, I would rather be in Japan than any other country that experiences earthquakes! Just looking at what happened in Colombia and Indonesia, which experienced massive earthquakes after the Kumamoto quake. Some houses came down in Kumamoto, but they were older buildings that hadn't been renovated up to the latest building codes.

I know that these quakes are going to keep happening, that it takes time for the faults to settle down. I also know that the pressure builds again until another quake releases the pressure. I understand the basic science behind what is happening; I just wish it wouldn't!

I'm trying not to think about it too much; if I do, I become paralysed with fear. My kids keep telling me that there is nothing you can do about it; if an earthquake is going to hit, it's going to hit. Sitting and worrying doesn't change that!

Instead, I'm trying to figure out why I haven't sold any T-shirts as yet.

Here are a couple of my latest designs!



These were designed with free AI, but I think I might have to pay for an AI service. Just to make the bottom T-shirt took almost an hour! I knew what I wanted but had a hard time explaining it to AI. I should learn to draw, might make things easier! 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good AI service that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

No comments:

Post a Comment