Recipes

Monday, September 21, 2026

Yutoku Inari Shrine....Kashima Saga

 We have a few days' holiday this week, Silver Week. Usually, I don't go out during these holidays as everywhere is so busy, but I really wanted to see something different. I think I wanted to refresh myself, reset my thinking, and have a chance to relax away from the stress of this house.

Mikey, Christopher and Hannah went with me to this shrine; David had to work!

We picked up Hannah, then drove about an hour to the shrine. Most of the drive was through beautiful countryside, small towns and villages. Very laid-back feeling.


I don't know the name of these birds, but I see them a lot.



Japan is a country of real contrasts: massive cities with incredible services, open plains of farmland and then mountains, everywhere! Japan is 70% mountains, so seeing these massive open areas is always amazing. 
It was a bit windy; I loved watching the rice ripple as the breeze went over it!


We were stuck at traffic lights.
Just before the intersection was a level crossing, which came down. I thought it would be a normal commuter train, but it was a special sightseeing train. These are very popular here in Kyushu, and maybe in other parts of Japan as well. These trains are about the journey, not the destination. This one goes along the coastline at a slower speed. Something I would like to try one time!


I noticed a few of these little statue things near schools and where kids cross busy roads. I thought it was a very cute idea. 

To warn motorists that kids are crossing here.

You can't see in the photo, but in the back there are little flags that the kids hold up as they are crossing. There's one of these statues on either side of the road, so the flags are left where they will be needed.

These massive columns were on the road as we got close to the shrine.


There was one on either side of the road.

We found an interesting place in the parking lot!



Within the red structure is a place to remove evil spirits from your car. I'm guessing that you would have to make an appointment for a priest to come and do some ceremony. I thought it was an interesting idea.

The shrine was massive. We didn't get to see everything, but what we did see took over an hour!

From the parking lot.

The bridge.

I didn't realise that they had to look into the sun!

There's a small river with a bridge over it to enter the shrine.

The view from the bridge.

The torii gates to enter


The entrance

As you approach the gates, you stop and bow. There are two gates, so you have to stop twice.
Then there's the place to wash your hands and mouth.
There was a good English explanation of this ritual cleansing.

I couldn't get a good photo as there were so many people.
You are supposed to pour water into your hand to rinse your mouth. I didn't bother with that part; somehow the idea of rinsing your mouth and spitting out in public turns my stomach.
We went into one of the main areas. It was very beautiful. Over another small bridge, the stream had Koi fish in it!



Beautiful Koi fish

This was part of the gate to the shrine area.


The colours are so lovely and vibrant.
When we entered the area where one of the altars is, I was surprised at the noise. There are thousands of wind chimes; with the lovely breeze, they made an amazing noise.





Not only a lovely noise, but also very beautiful to look at.






We had to wait to take photos as it was a very popular spot.
There was also an old-fashioned cart on the ground.



The workmen were erecting a bamboo fence around it.

Also, a couple of statues of horses.





As you can see, I'm trying to hide behind Hannah!
The kanji says horse, but I don't know what that has to do with the shrine. Inari shrines are associated with foxes, rice, household well-being, business prosperity and general prosperity. Other Inari shrines I've visited have had statues of foxes. I'll have to see if I can find out why there are horse statues at this shrine.

I thought I could write up everything today, but there are still a few more things to write about: a lovely Japanese garden, lunch and the fortune I got!
I have a class, so I had better get ready!

Come back tomorrow to see if the fortune I got was good or bad!




No comments:

Post a Comment