Recipes

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Random Thoughts

 I recently found out that a lady I worked with many, many years ago passed away. Apparently, she has been sick for a while.

I'm saddened by her passing, but it has made me stop and think about my life and health. My friend was in her early 70s, so if she had been sick for a while, she might have started to get sick at the age I am now. That's a very sobering thought.

My Mom passed away at the age I am now, just 64 years old, but she did smoke and never ate very healthy. My Dad is 88 years old and now in a care home. I'm not sure what is happening with him, but he keeps having bleeds in the brain, which I guess, at his age, some kind of health problems are to be expected. Looking at my parents, is it just DNA that one had a long life and the other a short life, or do lifestyle, exercise, eating healthy and being social play into longevity? It's something I wonder about.

My health isn't great but it isn't that bad. I'm still struggling with my weight, but I'm still not consistent in my efforts. I know this is a mental/emotional problem. I see food as comforting, especially sweets, chocolate, bread, any kind of bread, etc. I know they aren't comforting; I know that eating them doesn't help at all, but it's so hard to resist, especially when life throws curveballs! David made me laugh; we were watching Star Trek when the Borg attacked. Their line is "We are the Borg; resistance is futile." A few days later, David came home with some cakes; he put them on the table and said, "We are the sweets; resistance is futile". So true! 

I need to get a grip. I'm not getting any younger, but there are still so many things I want to do. 

One thing that I realised the other day when I was talking to one of my students is that my thinking about my age is really stuck in what I learnt as a child. When I was growing up, women retired at 60; it was as if their lives were over and they were just waiting to die, just keeping house, going to bingo, maybe dropping in on friends for a cup of tea and a chat. A sad life somehow; the best years were gone. Now, however, I'm reading about ladies who are starting again at 60, going for adventures, trying things that they didn't have time for when they were younger. I want to have this mindset. 

These are just some of the thoughts that have been chasing around in my head, plus ideas for new designs; no wonder I can't sleep!

Sorry, just rambling here. So many thoughts, so many things that I should be doing! Can you believe I got distracted by a dirty floor? I went to ask David to hang the laundry. I noticed that near the back door, the floor looked stained; as I got closer, I noticed that the cats had been peeing there. When I opened the door, the bottom of the door frame and the outside step smelled really bad. I got some very hot water, a scrubbing brush and cloths. David did the outside while I worked on the inside, plus I wiped down the cupboards. I wasn't planning on doing that, but I'm glad that I got it done!

I hope to go out tomorrow! Let's hope the weather will be good!

Another photo from Google Photos

This 


Became this


I have no idea why!

No comments:

Post a Comment