Recipes

Friday, October 4, 2024

Another Problem

 Went to the other house again today and found more problems!

The floor in the smaller bedroom is very spongy, it had basically rotted in places. There's a stain, looks like something was spilt but never wiped up. This will be David's room, the place that is rotten is where he wanted to put his bed, need to rethink things in there.  I think we can just replace the rotten floor boards for now but in the future we will need to replace the whole floor.

I knew my mother in law wasn't really cleaning the place, even before she got sick. The doors to the small bedroom are sliding doors and I've left them open. Today I closed them to clean them and found white streaks on the frosted glass and the door frame. It's milk. I know it's milk because when we were living there before, my mother in law threw it at me, the whole carton, I moved, so it caught my side but smashed against the door. I cleaned the floor and thought she would clean the rest. But she never did, she had about 10 years to clean it up before she fell and ended up in hospital, then a care home.

The other problem is food storage! Here there is a nice big pantry and one set of cupboards that I use. In the other house the only cupboards are under the sink and stove. The cupboards above are too high, even David can't reach them without a step.  My mother in law had a few tall cabinets along the walls but they made the room feel a lot smaller, darker and claustrophobic. There is a space in the area just outside the kitchen, where the toilets and bathroom door is that I could put some kind of cabinet but I don't know if that would be practical or not. Need to think on that. I need something cheap and practical.

Outside the house

I took that photo while I was waiting for Mikey to take me home. Standing there, looking at the house, I was trying to imagine living there, but it's still difficult to believe. I really love this town we are in now, it is so convenient, almost everything is within walking distance. I also really like this house, even though it does need a lot of work done on it. It's not just the damage done by the cats either but just living here. The kitchen needs replacing, the water systems need to be checked, the sink keeps getting blocked, the plumber thinks there might be some damage near to the main sewage pipe. The garden is a disaster, even though David keeps cutting down the trees, bushes and weeds they grow back very quickly. Even with all the problems I would have been happy to stay here. If I could get a mortgage I would have bought this house!

But in another month we will be in the other house and even though I'm resigned to it I'm not happy. There is protentional but we will need to put a lot of money into the property. And we don't really have any! I wanted to stop work, travel a bit, have some fun time while I'm still healthy enough to enjoy things. Instead I'm moving and having to start over again!  Not my idea of fun!!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the best Jackie, and that it will work out really well for your family, you really deserve that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julian. I'm sure it will, just some days are hard!

      Delete