Recipes

Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Changing Plans

 I don't really like change. I prefer routine, so I know what I'm doing and where I'm going. But of course, life is not easy; it tends to get messy and being able to go with the flow really saves a lot of stress.

This month I've had to let go of my routine and really learn how to go with the flow.

Mikey and I use a community centre to teach in. I go every Tuesday and Wednesday, same place, same staff, same group who uses the gym, judo club one day, karate club the next. I'm used to seeing them, using my basic Japanese to greet them. It's nice; it's routine. A few shops nearby are within walking distance if I have a bit of free time. This month, however, we can't use that community centre as there's a big festival at the end of the month and the centre is being used for preparation and practice. 

Mikey spent most of the last week calling other community centres, but most are already booked up. We had to reschedule Tuesday's class as there wasn't any place available. That meant that my Tuesday felt strange; I'm used to doing everything in the morning and getting ready to leave by 2:30. This week I could relax, take more time with the chores and spend time designing T-shirts and reading; I actually enjoyed myself.

On Wednesday, Mikey found a community centre that we can use for this month. It's an older building but still nice. One problem was that the toilets are at the other end of the building. You have to go through the kitchen and down a corridor to get to them. When we arrived, I could find them alright. My problem was trying to find the light switches in the dark. As it's an older building, there were lots of creaks and strange noises, which seemed a lot louder in the dark


Different community centre.

I've also had to go with the flow as I'm staying at Hannah's for a couple of days before our trip to Kagoshima.
I have a very set idea as to what a good breakfast is. My idea of breakfast is eggs, some kind of meat, either bacon or sausages, toast (recently I don't have toast every day) and some fruit and yoghurt. In the cooler weather, I make a more Japanese-style breakfast: miso soup, rice, some kind of protein, and some vegetables.
This was breakfast at Hannah's this morning.

The gold pack is Calorie Mate, a Japanese bar that gives you essential nutrients. Quick and easy. I like Calorie Mate but would never consider it for breakfast. And yes, that is a pack of Pringles!

Another change that I have to deal with is our trip to Kagoshima. Hannah and I planned to visit a cat shrine on Saturday, but the weather is refusing to cooperate; it's going to rain! As much as I don't mind walking in the rain, I don't really want to traipse around a shrine in it. I want to take photos and video, which isn't easy when balancing an umbrella. We changed our plans and are going to go to the shrine Sunday morning; we will spend Saturday at a museum and aquarium.

Going with the flow really does help. I guess life is never perfect, and all the plans we make can be changed without notice.
I don't know when I can post again. I'll have a lot to share after our Kagoshima trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment